Are you caring, patient and able to open up your home to a Young Person? Could you provide a safe and caring environment that will help a Young Person learn and develop? If so, we would love to chat with you.

Supported Lodgings is giving a young person a room in your home that offers support and guidance.

You will help them develop life skills and prepare them for living on their own.

This could include:

  • Cooking
  • Cleaning
  • Bills and budgetting
  • Looking after their own home
  • Attending work or college

It might be helping them catch a bus to college on their own, registering with a GP or opening a bank account. You might help guide them to make sensible choices about their future and be there to talk to.

Supported Lodgings is giving a young person who is moving out of care a chance to learn the skills they need to live on their own with the skills and knowledge we all need.  

The age group ranges from 16 to 21. 

There are many reasons young people need supported lodgings. 

This could include:

  • they have been living with family or friends but this has broken down.
  • they have been looked after by the Council in foster care or residential care.

All the young people will have a social worker or support worker who will assess the young person's needs.  This helps us find the right placement for the young person and the individual or family providing the home.

A lot of care and planning is taken in this matching process.  We'll take time to get to know you and the kind of lodgings you can offer, considering your needs and the needs of the young person.

You'll have the final say on who shares your home.

Young people may:

    • require a bit of time out of the care system to get into routines and general independent living skills before they move on into their own accommodation.
    • need additional time to develop without the immediate influence of other young people living around them.

The Supported Lodgings Scheme is based on a traditional lodging arrangement offered by individuals or families with a spare room. Some young people become part of the family, others like a bit more independence.  Placements can be a short stay or longer term.

We welcome applications and enquiries from everyone.  When you contact us, we can chat more and explore if this is something you could offer a Young Person.  

You could be single, in a couple, a family or a partnership, employed or unemployed.  It doesn't matter, we would be happy to talk more. Your home can be large or small, old or new, rented or owned.

You do need to provide the Young Person with their own room that would be exclusively theirs.

You may need to check with your landlord/mortgage company to make sure they do not have any restrictions.  However, this would be part of the assessment. 

Financial support is available for providers. For the duration of the supported lodging arrangement, we pay £224.83 per week for providing full board accommodation for the young person.  

The Council have a responsibility to meet the need of Unaccompanied Asylum Seeking Children and Young People. The majority of young people are over the age of 16.

These young people may have been separated from their families and have been living in difficult and dangerous environments. They may be facing uncertainty about their future life in Britain as their immigration status and right to remain may be uncertain. These young people need a safe, nurturing environment and support to help them prepare for independence.

We welcome enquiries from anyone who feels like they can support a young person. You must live in Stirling or within travelling distance of the city and you must have a spare room. It would be helpful to have relevant experience in caring for young people. However, we will talk you through the process of becoming a carer, offer training and explain what information we will need as part of the assessment. If you become a carer you will have ongoing help from social work as well as links to partner agencies that can also offer support. 

If you are interested in learning more, please complete the enquiry form below.

We'll support you all the way through. A social worker will take you through each step of the process, and a worker is allocated to you when you're approved to provide supported lodgings or become a host family.

We'll visit you often to complete the assessment and keep you updated. You'll be able to get to know the social worker and build a good working relationship.

  • We will arrange an assessment, which involves several checks including police checks.
  • Eligible candidates would be provided with preparation and training to help to offer the right level of support to a young person.

Thank you for taking the time to read our online information about Supported Lodgings  If you require further information, or are interested in becoming a supported lodgings provider, please complete this form.  We will call back during office hours to further discuss your enquiry.

Supported Lodgings and Host Family Scheme

Your Details


Further information

You may also be interested in:

Last updated: Tuesday, September 21, 2021 2:10 PM