If you, or someone you care for, feel that Social Care support is required, we can make a referral and undertake an initial assessment. 


To establishing eligibility, we use eligibility criteria, based on National guidelines. This ensures that everyone who requests support is dealt with depending on their needs.  People with the greatest need or those who are most at risk are a priority.

Care Home Rate

The National Care Home rate only applies to adults over the age of 65.  For all other care groups, this will vary.


Only those who have been assessed as having a critical or substantial need will be eligible for service.

  • Critical risk - Major risks to an individual's independent living or health and wellbeing and is likely to require immediate provision.
  • Substantial risk - Significant risk to independent living or health and wellbeing and likely to require imminent provision.

The next step

If you are eligible for the support we will arrange a care assessment prioritised on your initial assessment. 

How to request a referral

You can request to be referred for Social care support by contacting:

Your Health professional (such as a General Practitioner) or Social Services.

You can use the self assessment facility on the BBC website to get an indication of savings and income levels which entitle you to financial support for care from the council. Just type in your postcode to see a breakdown of the average costs.

Additional information

Our Self Directed Support factsheets guide you through the process of:

Last updated: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 2:52 PM