Storage of petroleum
Petroleum storage certificates and licence
Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014
There are now two types of document, depending on whether the petrol is stored at workplace premises or non-workplace premises:
- A Petroleum Storage Certificate applies to petrol dispensing premises which are workplaces. This includes a petrol filling station (PFS).
- A Petroleum Licence applies only to storage at domestic or other non-workplace premises.
A Petroleum Storage Certificate is issued for particular premises. It does not contain detailed conditions, but the Regulations set out some basic rules, such as:
- Petrol must only be dispensed:
- for use in a motor vehicle or motorboat, or
- to fill a suitable portable container or a demountable fuel tank, or
- for the purpose of maintenance or calibration of the dispenser.
- No person under 16 years of age is to operate a dispenser.
- No person is to supply or allow the supply of, petrol to a person under 16 years of age.
In addition, operators of workplace premises must comply with the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 (DSEAR), which require operators to carry out a risk assessment in respect of the storage and dispensing of fuels at the premises. Guidance can be found in a document known as the Red Guide.
A Petroleum Licence (not a Petroleum Storage Certificate) is issued to a person to permit the storage of petrol for private use at domestic or non-workplace premises. The DSEAR regulations do not apply to these premises.
If you intend to store petrol, please contact us for advice. Before issuing a new Certificate or Licence, we are required to ensure that the installation is suitable for the intended purpose. We can provide information on current industry standards for the design and construction of filling stations.
Before completing an application, please contact us for guidance on any supporting information which may be required, such as drawings.
Annual fees are:
|Quantity up to 2,500 litres||£44|
|2,501 to 50,000 litres||£60|
|Over 50,000 litres||£125|
Last updated: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 2:53 PM