Last updated: Monday, August 9, 2021 9:12 AM

Stirling Council continues to follow Government, NHS and Public Health Scotland guidance on COVID-19.

Beyond Level 0” started on Monday, 9 August 2021, lifting most restrictions.

Those remaining include, but are not limited to:

  • The use of face coverings indoors
  • The collection of contact details as part of Test and Protect
  • Capacity limits of 2000 people indoors and 5000 people outdoors.

The Scottish Government will review rules and guidance on a three weekly basis and outbreak control measures, such as travel restrictions, may still be applied in future.

Visit the Scottish Government website for daily updates and information on self isolation, social distancing and hospitality etc.

Locally, some Stirling Council buildings will also now begin a phased re-opening from Monday 9 August.

7 key facts

  • Some people who spread Covid-19 have no symptoms.
  • Testing people who have no symptoms can identify many of these people.
  • Any testing only detects some (not all) of those infectious at that moment in time. A person may test negative but become positive and infectious a couple of hours later.
  • Testing is an extra layer in protecting ourselves and others. Encouraging vaccination, observing FACTS and staying at home unless essential to go out are everyone's responsibility even if tested negative.
  • People who have been vaccinated may still be able to spread Covid-19 and therefore should participate in testing if this is available to them.
  • Although less than 1 in 100 people without symptoms has Covid-19, detecting those people saves lives. If asked, please get tested.

Survey on Asymptomatic Tesing in the Forth Valley area

We are interested in what you think of having Community Testing in your local area and it would be very helpful if you answered all, or some of the following questions. We are not asking for your name, and don't want you to say anything that might identify you.

Community Testing Dates/Locations For People Without Symptoms

Get Tested And Collect A Lateral Flow Test Kit

  • Tuesday 23rd November - Raploch Campus, FK8 1RD: 10am-4.30pm.
  • Wednesday 24th November -  Cochrane Hall, Alva, FK12 5LI: 10am-4.30pm.
  • Thursday 25th November - Tullibody Civic Centre, FK10 2RU: 10am-4.30pm.
  • Thursday 25th November - Doune Castlehill Car Park, Castle Court, FK16 6BJ: 10am-4.30pm.
  • Friday 26th November - Cowie Community Centre, FK7 7BL: 10am-4.30pm.
  • Friday 26th November - Morrisons Car Park, Alloa, FK10 1RQ: 10am-4.30pm.
  • Saturday 27th November - Morrisons Supermarket, Stirling, FK7 7SR: 10am-4.30pm.
  • Saturday 27th November - Sterling Mills, Tillicoultry, FK13 6HQ: 9am-5pm. (Testing Kits Handout Only)
  • Sunday 28th November - Christmas Fayre, Dumyat Centre, Menstrie, FK11 7AR: 9.30am-4.30pm - (Testing Kits Handout Only)
  • Sunday 28th November - Clackmannan Primary Car Park, FK10 4JS: 10am-4.30pm.
  • Monday 29th November - Menstrie Bowling Club, FK11 7AR: 9.30am-4.30pm.
  • Monday 29th November - Bannockburn Community Centre, FK7 8NB: 9.30am-4.30pm.
  • Tuesday 30th November - Sauchie Hall Car Park, FK10 3EA: 9.30am-4.30pm.
  • Thursday 2nd December - Candleriggs Car Park, FK10 1ED: 9.30am-4.30pm.
  • Friday 3rd December - Dollar Winter Festival, The Hive, FK14 7AA: 9am-5pm. (Testing Kits Handout Only)
  • Friday 3rd December - Raploch Communtiy Campus, FK8 1RD: 9.30am-4.30pm.
  • Saturday 4th December - Dollar Winter Festival, The Hive, FK14 7AA: 9am-5pm. (Testing Kits Handout Only)
  • Saturday 4th December - Mayfield Community Centre, FK7 0DB: 9.30am-4.30pm.
  • Sunday 5th December - Callander, The Meadows Car Park, FK17 8BA: 10am-4pm.
  • Sunday 5th December - Morrisons Car Park, Stirling, FK7 7SR: 9.30am-4.30pm.


Lateral Flow Device (LFD) testing kits

The Local Testing Site at the Engine Shed is offering the chance to collect Lateral Flow Device (LFD) testing kits to take home in a pack of 7.

There are specific times when the site will switch from PCR Testing to LFD collection, and these are below:

PCR testing – 8:00 to 14:30

LFD collection – 15:30 to 20:00

Pharmacies and order onlineRapid lateral flow can be picked up from local walk/drive-through test sites, a number of local pharmacies or ordered online. To find out where you can get a rapid lateral flow tests in your local area click here and to order them online click here.

Frequently asked questions

What is community testing?

This is testing for people who have no Covid-19 symptoms but who could still be infectious and spreading the virus without knowing it.

What is a lateral flow test?

A lateral flow test is a test which can be completed on-site within 30 minutes. A Lateral Flow Device (LFD) detects the presence or absence of Covid-19 from a swab or saliva sample.

The sample is mixed with a buffer solution, which releases and breaks up virus fragments. Some of the solution is then dropped on to the lateral flow device. The sample runs along the surface of the devices' absorbent strip, showing at the end a visual positive or negative result dependent on the presence of the virus.

Unlike the Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) tests, a lateral flow test does not need to be sent to a laboratory to be processed. This means test results are available the same day (normally within 30 minutes).

A lateral flow test is used for community testing.

Who can get tested?

Anyone without symptoms can walk in to a community testing centre and get tested. No appointment necessary.

If you have symptoms, a PCR test can be arranged online or by calling 0300 303 2713.

Will I need to take a test?

No. Tests are completely voluntary and there for anyone who may want one. We are hoping that many people will recognise the benefits of getting involved in local testing efforts to reduce the spread of the virus in their communities.

Why should I get tested?

Almost 1 in 3 people who have Covid-19 don't have any of the usual symptoms but are potentially passing the virus on to loved ones, friends and others in the community.

By getting tested you can find out if you are positive, and take immediate action to stop the spread of the virus to others, by self-isolating.

Where can I get tested?

Details of community testing centres are noted above.

Pop-up testing sites are open across Forth Valley. Site locations will be updated on this NHS test finder map.

Do I need to make an appointment to get a test?

No. Community testing centres offer a walk-in service and appointments can't be booked.

How long will a test take?

A test takes only a few minutes to take, and results are returned within 45 minutes

You can wait on-site in our waiting room. You can also wait on-site in your car. Or you can go home and wait on your result being sent to you.

How will I receive my test result?

You will receive your results by text message or you can wait on-site and be told face to face.

What happens if I test positive?

If you test positive you will be asked to isolate that day and asked to complete a follow up PCR test to confirm the results. You must isolate whilst waiting for the results of the PCR test. Self-isolation is the best way to stop Covid-19 and infecting others around you.

We understand how difficult it can be to self-isolate and we want to help you as much as we can. Practical, confidential support is available within the Community Testing Centre to support you and your household if you test positive and need to self-isolate.

We can give you advice on different financial help which is available and help you to access it. As well as access to additional services, such as priority online shopping delivery and pharmaceutical deliveries.

Our Community Support and Information page has further information.

How long should I self-isolate?

You will have to self-isolate for 10 days from a confirmatory PCR test or if you have symptoms.

More information can be found at NHS inform.

If I test positive who are my close contacts?

A close contact is any individual you have been in close contact with in the 48 hours before your test (if not symptomatic) or 48 hours before your symptoms started and until you receive your positive test result – this is known as the "infectious period" when you could pass on the infection.

This would involve all those within your own household and any extended household, if contact was made during that period. In addition, any other individual who meets the criteria of face-to-face contact; within 1 metre for 1 minute, or within 2 metres for 15 minutes or more cumulatively over the infectious period. This may involve colleagues.

It is important that you reduce your close contacts at all times to reduce the number of individuals you could infect.

More information can be found on NHS inform.

I have been identified as a close contact of a positive case but I don't have any symptoms. Can I go back to work if I get a negative test result?

No. If you are identified as a close contact you must self-isolate for the full period of 10 days. This is because it can take up to 10 days to become infected.

If I am off work because I have symptoms, have tested positive or have been identified as a close contact, do I still get paid?

You should speak to your employer about this. Scottish Government has published the Coronavirus (Covid-19): fair work statement that states that:

"No worker should be financially penalised for following medical advice. Any absence relating to Covid-19 should not affect future sick pay entitlement or other entitlements like holiday or accrued time. It should not result in formal attendance related warnings or be accumulated with non-covid related absences in future absence management figures."

The Self-Isolation Support Grant provides £500 for low income workers who are in receipt of Universal Credit or other benefits and will lose earnings as a result of having to self-isolate.

For more information call the National Helpline: 0800 111 4000.

What should I do if I have symptoms?

If you have Covid-19 symptoms – new continuous cough, fever, change in sense of smell or taste - you should NOT attend an asymptomatic testing site (ATS). 

Those who are currently self-isolating because they have been identified as a close contact, or those who have tested positive for Covid-19 in the last 90 days should also use an ATS.

Do not attend a community testing centre if you have Covid-19 symptoms. If you have symptoms, a PCR test can be arranged online or by calling 0300 303 2713.

I have already tested positive for Covid-19. Should I get tested again?

If your positive test was less than 90 days ago you should not get tested again, unless you are now displaying Covid-19 symptoms. If your positive test was more than 90 days ago you can get tested again.

I have already tested negative for Covid-19. Should I get tested again?

Yes, if your test was more than a few days ago. The test result is only valid for the day of the test. You could have become infected at any point after that.

I have received the first dose of my vaccination. Should I still get tested?

Yes. The vaccination may not prevent you from spreading any infection.

Support due to Self IsolationEssential support is available for those self isolating who are unable to make alternative arrangements. If you are contacted to self-isolate by Test & Protect, there is no need to call us. A member of staff will contact you to check support arrangements.

A number of local Community Response Groups registered the support they were offering with Stirling Council and some continue to provide invaluable support at a community level.

Our fortnightly Community Response Bulletin has now ceased but Covid recovery information is still available through the Community Development Bulletin - CDNews. To receive this please email us.

Advice Services

Please visit our dedicated page for further information or support.

Call 101 if you are concerned about an adult who is not at immediate risk of harm or 999 in an emergency.

Harm reduction services

If you are worried about your own or another person’s substance use please contact Change, Grow Live (CGL) for support on 0808 1962188. If you are concerned about someone else’s drug or alcohol use then Forth Valley Family Support Service (FVFSS) can also help. Call the Family Support Development Officer on 07484024407.

Forth Valley Recovery Community (FVRC) is a community of people committed to supporting recovery from substance use. During this time telephone support will be available via Tom Bennett (07920 234694) or Becky Wood (07920 576375).

Adult Learning & Employability

Face to face contact with individuals is not currently running however staff are continuing to engage regularly with existing customers. There is very limited capacity to take on new clients but contact should be made via telephone (01786 237517) or email and a member of the team will respond.

Refugee Resettlement

For support please contact Jonathan Sharp by telephone on 07818 520936. For emergencies please contact Jonathan or the Stirling Council emergency number on 01786 473041. If you require an interpreter please let us know.

English classes have been cancelled. We are trying to find alternatives and will provide updates when this has been agreed. 


Level 0 Restrictions

We would like to remind businesses that information on current business support grants, as well as other dedicated business information and advice, is available at the Invest in Stirling website. 

This site is kept updated as new schemes become available. 

For all updates relating to service delivery, please visit our dedicated page.

Will be open from 9am to 12noon, Monday to Friday.

Will continue with current opening hours and services until the 14th of August. After this a full re-opening will begin with extended opening hours, reflecting the easing of restrictions and the move Beyond Level 0.

You will no longer need an appointment for browsing, loaning or returning books however the use of PC’s will continue on an appointment basis due to the continuing need for cleaning of equipment.

Track & Trace and wearing of face coverings will still be in operation.