In recognition of the invaluable contribution that young carers make to society the Social Security Scotland has delivered the new Young Carer Grant.
How to Apply
The Young Carer Grant is a new yearly cash payment of £300 for 16-18-year-olds which carers can spend as they choose. Young carers can claim if they are at school, in further education, employed or unemployed and may be eligible if they meet all of the following criteria:
- they live in Scotland
- they are 16, 17 or 18 years of age when applying
- caring for an average of 16 hours per week, over a 13 week period
- care for someone normally paid a qualifying disability benefit
- they have not applied for or receive Carer’s Allowance
- they are not paid or volunteer to care
People will be able to apply online at https://www.mygov.scot/benefits/ or through our Freephone helpline at 0800 182 2222.
Please note: Social Security has a helpline and it is open Monday to Friday from 8 am to 6 pm - Freephone helpline at 0800 182 2222.
A paper application will also be available and can be requested via our helpline or downloaded directly from our website.
See Also the Young Carer Fact Sheet
Last updated: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 2:58 PM