Adaptations may include:
  • minor adaptations like fitting grab rails or a banister
  • major adaptations like replacing a bath with a level access shower or installing a stairlift

Minor adaptations

To be eligible for minor adaptations you must be a Council tenant seeking an adaptation for your Council home.  You can self-refer for adaptations such as a grab rail in your shower or an additional banister to assist with mobility.

If you would like to request a minor adaptation, please complete our form.  Alternatively, please call us on 01786 404040 and we will complete the form for you.

We will contact you within 10 working days with our decision to either fit the adaptation or to refer you to our Social Service colleagues.

Major adaptations

If you have health issues or a disability which requires major adaptation of your homes, such as the fitting of an external ramp or a wet floor shower, you will require an assessment by Social Services.

The cost of major adaptations may be chargeable.  This depends upon a number of things, for example, whether it is your own house or if it belongs to the Council or another landlord.  You may be able to access certain grants to help pay for some of these costs.

Last updated: Wednesday, September 22, 2021 11:34 AM