Altering or improving your home

As a tenant, you have the right to make changes to your home and garden.  However, it is a condition of your Tenancy Agreement that you must ask for written permission from Stirling Council’s Housing Services, as your landlord, if you plan to carry out any alterations or improvements. Examples of the type of work which would need permission are:

We have a policy & procedure for Tenant to pay and elective repairs.  This is when a tenant can choose work to be carried out by Stirling Council and the tenant will be billed for it as agreed. 

The type of permission you need

You must ask for permission from Housing Services. However depending on the type of work you plan to carry out, you may also need permission from other Council Services e.g. Planning Services (or depending on where you live, the Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park Authority), Building Control, Roads and Transport, or other agencies e.g. Scottish Gas, Scottish Power, or Hydro Electric.

Getting permission from Housing Services

You can apply for permission by either emailing or writing to the Service Improvement Officer, Housing Services, Allan Water House, Kerse Road, Stirling, FK7 7SG any plans, or drawings which show details of the work you wish to do should be included. If you would like to discuss any issues you can do so by calling the Service Improvement Officer on 01786 237732.


Housing Services do not charge a fee. However other Services e.g. Building Control may charge a fee if you require their permission for the work e.g. planning permission, building warrant, Roads and Transport.

After you apply for permission

We may need to visit your home to carry out an inspection, and then they will write to tell you if you have been permitted to do the work.

When will I know if I have been permitted to start the work?

Once we have all the information from you, we will write to you within 28 days, to tell you if you have permission to carry out the work.  If permission is refused, we will write to tell you why.  If you have not received a reply within 28 days, then you can assume that permission has been granted. However, it would be advisable to check with us before starting work.

Can I appeal if permission is refused?

You can appeal through the Council’s Comments and Complaints procedure. Your complaint will be investigated and we will let you know the outcome.

Am I entitled to compensation for any work that I have carried out?

You may be entitled to compensation for the improvement when your tenancy ends. However, you will only be considered for compensation if you have received our prior written permission and can provide all payment receipts for the work.

Last updated: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 2:54 PM