Old Town Jail
Information on opening times, directions and how to book tickets can be found at the Your Stirling Website.
- For 400 years, Stirling's prisoners were kept in the old Tollbooth Jail.
- The Jail was a filthy and overcrowded, place.
- There came pressure for improvement and prison reform so the new purpose-built Stirling Old Town Jail
- The new jail was opened in 1847. Designed by Thomas Brown and opened as a County Jail
- The building was used as the only military prison in Scotland from 1888 until 1935.
- Restoration to its current use began in the early 1990s.