• John Cowane aka Auld Staney Breeks was a very wealthy Stirling merchant. He was Dean of the Merchant Guild, who left funds for this almshouse and the maintenance of 13 elderly Guild members.
  • Originally known as Cowane's Hospital, it was built beside the Church of the Holy Rude between 1637 and 1649.
  • For many years the building was used as the Guildhall where the Merchants gathered for meetings and dinners.
  • The Guildry fixed the prices of goods and dominated town council affairs.
  • Later, the building was used as a schoolhouse and a hospital during epidemics.
  • One of Scotland’s oldest bowling greens.

The Patrons of Cowane’s Hospital Trust provides relief to those in need through the provision of housing, and in particular special needs housing, in Stirling. Reasons may be age, ill-health, disability, financial hardship or other disadvantages.

 
Cowanes Hospital
49 St John St,
Stirling
FK8 1ED

Contact
Lorne Scott,
Master and Factor
The Cowane's Hospital Trust
Scottish Registered Charity: SC019364
directions

Cowanes Hospital
49 St John St,
Stirling
FK8 1ED

Contact
Lorne Scott,
Master and Factor
The Cowane's Hospital Trust
Scottish Registered Charity: SC019364