Complaints Procedures 

Stirling Council is committed to providing quality services that reflect the needs of our customers.

We value complaints and use information from them to help us improve our services.

If something goes wrong or your are dissatisfied with our services, please tell us.  Stirling Council has a centralised Corporate Enquiries Team.  The team will work with you to provide a response to your concern in line with our Complaints Procedures.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.  

How do I complain?

You can complaint in any of the following ways:
  • Online: Our online form will be emailed direct to the Corporate Enquiries Team.  We will coordinate your feedback and send it to the relevant service or team to investigate on your behalf.  
  • Our skilled customer service staff can take the details of your complaint.  Alternatively, you can ask to talk direct to the Corporate Enquiries Team. 
To help us direct your complaint to the relevant service and team, please tell us:
  • your full name, address, phone number and/or email address
  • as much detail as possible about the complaint
  • what has gone wrong and what you would like us to do to put it right.

What is a Complaint?

We regard a complaint as any expression of dissatisfaction about our action or lack of action, or about the standard of service provided by us on our behalf.  

What can I complaint about?

You can complain about things like:
  • delays in responding to your enquiries and requests
  • failure to provide a service
  • our standard of service
  • Council Policy or Procedures
  • treatment by or attitude of a member of staff
  • our failure to follow proper procedure.

Services provided on the Council's behalf

Your complaint may be about a service being provided on behalf of the Council.  

Our service providers require to have their own complaints procedures which mirrors out complaints procedure and they are expected to provide complaints performance information to the Council.  Customers using these services are normally encouraged to use the provider's local complaints procedure.  As an alternative, and in some circumstances, you can request that your complaint is managed by the Council on your behalf.

What can't I complaint about?

There are some things we can't deal with through our complaint handling procedures.  These include:
  • a routine first-time request for a service. For example, a first time request for a housing repair or bin uplift.  
  • requests for compensation from the Council
  • matters that are covered by a right of appeal
  • a matter that has been or is being considered in court.
Here are some example:
  • If you are dissatisfied with the level of priority you have been given when applying for a house, you have the right to appeal against this decision.
  • If your planning application is refused, you have a right of appeal to Scottish Ministers within 6 months of the decision.
  • If you believe your house is incorrectly valued for Council Tax, you can appeal to the Assessor.
  • If you believe you have been wrongly issued with a parking ticket, the right of appeal is outlined on the back of your ticket.

If other procedures or rights of appeal can help you resolve your concerns, we will give information and advice to help you.   

Who can complaint?

Anyone can make a complaint to us, including the representative of someone who is dissatisfied with out service.  On occasions, we may ask you to provide evidence that you have the right to speak on someones behalf.  If you have any questions about this, please do not hesitate to contact us.  

How long do I have to make a complaint?

Normally, you must make your complaint within 6 months of:

  • the event you want to complaint about, or
  • finding out that you have a reason to complaint, but not longer than 12 months after the event itself.

In exceptional circumstances, we may be able to accept a complaint after the time limit.  If you feel that the time limit should not apply to your complaint, please tell us why.  

Equal Opportunities

Stirling Council is committed to ensuring that no one is discriminated against on grounds of

  • age,
  • disability,
  • gender reassignment,
  • pregnancy and maternity,
  • race,
  • religion or belief,
  • sex,
  • sexual orientation
  • or for any other reason.

Procurement complaints

Please contact the council's Procurement team in the first instance by emailing us

Further advice on making a complaint about procurement is available from the Scottish Government's Single Point of Enquiry

Factoring complaints

If you have a complaint about our property management and are not happy with how we have investigated it and responded to you, you can contact the Housing and Property Chamber (HOPC).  They work to resolve complaints and disputes between their home owners and their property managers/factors. 

Contact the HOPC: 0141 302 5900 or by emailing them

If you think you have been treated less favourably, please make this clear in your complaint.




Last updated: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 2:51 PM