customer complaints

What happens when I have complained?

We will always tell you who is dealing with your complaints and when you should expect to receive a reply.

Our complaints procedures has two stages:

Stage 1: Frontline Resolution 

We aim to resolve complaints quickly and close to where we provided the service.  This could mean an on-the-spot apology and explanation if something has clearly gone wrong, and immediate action to resolve the problem.  

We will provide you with an outcome to your complaint at Stage 1 in 5 working days or less.  If we experience any delays, we will let you know.  

If we can't resolve your complaint at this stage, we will explain why and tell you what you can do next.  We might suggest that you escalate your complaint to Stage 2.  You may choose to do this immediately or sometimes after you get our initial decision.  You can ask the Council to reopen your complaint and escalate your concerns to Stage 2 within a 6 month period. 

Stage 2: Investigation 

Stage 2 deals with two types of complaint: those that have not been resolved at Stage 1 and those that are complex and require a detailed investigation.

What you can expect from us:
  • acknowledge receipt of your complaints within three working days
  • where appropriate, a Council officer may contact you to discuss your complaint further
  • give you a full written response to the complaint as soon as possible within 20 working days.

If our investigation will take longer than 20 working days, we will tell you.  We will agree revised time scales with you and keep you updated.  

Scottish Public Services Ombudsman

After we have fully investigated, if you remain dissatisfied with out decisions or the way we dealt with your complaint, you can ask the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) to look at this on your behalf.  

The SPSO cannot normally look at:
  • a complaint that has not completed the Council's two stage complaints procedures
  • event that happened, or that you became aware of, more than a year ago
  • a matter that has been or is being considered in court
  • complaints from Community Councils (a Community Council is not a 'member of the public' under the terms of the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman Act 2002 and so the SPSO cannot accept complaints from Community Councils.  Community Councils may, however, complain on behalf of a member of the public with the person's written consent for the Community Council to act for them).
You can contact the SPSO:
In Person
  • Scottish Public Services Ombudsman
    Bridgeside House
    99 McDonald Road
    EH7 4NS
  • The SPSO are open Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday 9am-5pm; Tuesday 10am-5pm.
By Post
  • Freepost SPSO

This is all you need to write on the envelope, and you don't need to use a stamp

Call them
  • Freephone 0800 377 7330 or call 0131 225 5300



Last updated: Tuesday, January 26, 2021 2:51 PM